Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Going Down Swinging

Today was an off day for me, but I met up with an old friend of mine that I hadn't seen in almost three years. She and I played competitive fast pitch softball together and our team traveled all over. We also play high school softball together and boy did we ever have some great times together.

We were both asked to play in a softball reunion game in late September. I wasn't so sure about it because I haven't played fast pitch in over 10 years now. She talked me into it, and as a result we went to the batting cages tonight. I just knew that it was going to be ugly! We had 6 tokens each and we debated on what speed to hit first. Our options were pretty limited because there was only one speed for fast softball, and that was "Fast". Baseball on the other hand had slow (45 mph), medium(55 mph), fast (65 mph), and very fast. We chose to start with slow baseball because it was one step slower than fast softball. My first time up I only hit one stinking ball (it was humiliating). Second time up I bunted a few just to get the timing down and then actually started hitting the ball - Yay! Third time, I began to get tired but was actually hitting a whole lot better. So... then we moved on to the fast softball! I can at least say that I did better then expected, but I was still disappointed. The second time though ended up being a little better. On my last token I chose to go back to slow baseball and lets just say that I hit them out of the park. I couldn't believe it!

As you can tell I never mention how my friend did... Well she just had a baby three months ago, and she hasn't missed a beat. She wasn't rusty in the least - it was actually quite sickening. She said that she wasn't doing very good, but her not doing very good sure looked great to me!! She was awesome.

Anyway, we had a great time together and we are planning on doing it again before the big game. I honestly think that I'm going to be sore in the morning from swing the bat that many times. So, actually I did get in a fun short workout today. And hey, I went down swinging!!!

No comments: