Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Working Out From Home

Being that today is an "off" day for me I decided to post on working out from home. Prior to beginning the program Making The Cut I was going to the YMCA 2 to 3 times a week. No matter how many classes I took or how much I worked out on my own I wasn't losing any weight or inches and I became VERY frustrated.

After our Phoenix vacation I began the program from my home. I have two small children, so this was easier for me to do rather than finding childcare for them, or even taking them to the childcare at the Y. Jillian's program is structured for someone to do the workouts at the gym, but I have enough equipment to do things from my home. Also there are some exercises that I can't do because I don't have a certain machine, but I do another exercise that works the same exact muscle. For example: The book calls for Leg Extentions, but instead I do squats holding hand weights.

Here is a list of the equipment that I have at home & that I use on this program:

Treadmill
Body Ball
Hand weights (5 lbs, 8 lbs, 15 lbs)
Step (Like in an aerobics class), but you can also use a sturdy stool
Resistance Band

I am a firm believer that you can accomplish goals from your very home! Yes, a gym can be very helpful, but for people like me with small kiddos it can sometimes be more challenging. Feel free to ask me how I change up certain exercises in the book in order to make them work for me at home.

There are also many DVD that you can utilize. Jillian actually has two different DVD's. I just happen to use the 30 Day Shred DVD and really like it. I'm always up for a good challenge.

*Snack of the Day: 1 Small Apple with 1 Tbs of Natural Peanut Butter

1 comment:

Sara said...

oh, sarah, you're such a stud!!! your blog really does inspire me!!... i think i might have to move to an in-home workout program--i'm really NOT looking forward to it because i don't push myself as much... but hopefully i can get over that!!!... we'll see.... i may be able to frequent the Y a few times a week... we're on the verge of a transition, so we'll have to just wait and get it all worked out!... thanks for helping motivate me, friend! love ya!