Monday, September 8, 2008

And an Injury "Rolls" In...

On Friday I began feeling a pain in my left ankle & shin and kept pushing through as much as possible thinking that I just stained something and it would go away. I did a book workout today (Day 15) which gratefully was not too stainious on that part of my body, but when I did my run I only lasted 15 minutes before it started burning.

Luckily I had a Chiropractor appointment (who is also a close friend to my family). I explained to him the feeling that I had been having and he took a look. It's exactly what I thought it was... Shin Splints!!! Also, with a slightly rolled ankle from tripping over a toy.

I have had shin splints before, but it was back when I was in high school playing softball and basketball. I asked him what I needed to anything, and he told me to rub & stretch it and slow down a bit. I was alright with that because I actually thought he was going to tell me to stop working out for awhile. He also said that they tend to develop when you try to do too much too fast. I still don't know why it developed when I've been doing the same workouts for some time now, but it honestly could be from the days that I'm down-right hard on my body!

I plan to continue working out, but if or when I start feeling any pain in that part of my leg I will stop. I don't want to hinder the healing process in any way. I will let you all know how it goes.

Tomorrow I will be weighing in (I've moved the weigh-in's to Tuesdays). I will also be continuing my diet journal. I was pretty lazy on keeping track of my calories today, so I will be better about it tomorrow so I can let you all know.

No comments: