Sunday, September 28, 2008

Belly Laughs & Blessings

Here is the story of how my children saved my life!

Those of you who don't know, I'm am a nurse and was working as a nurse when I was pregnant with my son. One day I was taking a nap and woke up with left sided weakness. Being that I was 35 weeks pregant I just thought that I had a pinched nerve in my back. For three days the weakness continued, and then I mentioned it one day to another nurse. She told me to call and let my OB know. After I got to thinking, and began worrying I made the treaded phone call. Once they looked at my history of having a hole in my heart from birth they immediately sent me to a cardiologist.

The cardiologist ran a ton of tests, and also put a 24 hr monitor on me. It was two days later that they called me at work to tell me that I had a mini stroke and that the Doctor wanted to see me immediately. The Doctor was actually upstairs in the hospital so I went to see him in a private room. He explained to me that the wall that formed in my heart, due to the hole in my heart, collected some plaque which threw a blood clot causing me to have a stroke. I was 35 weeks pregnant with my son and devastated! At this point all they could do was give me a baby aspirin a day and keep monitoring me. I delivered a very healthy baby boy and 6 weeks after he was born I was given a clean bill of health from the cardiologist, but instructed to take a baby aspiring for the rest of my life.

13 months later I got pregnant with my daughter. Due to the history of the stoke they ran some blood tests. There were three possible blood disorders that I could have. Turns out that I not only had one of these disorders, but I had all three - yep that's right... Three blood disorders that all did the same thing. They form clots in my blood, which is exactly why I had the stroke with my son. They sent me to a high risk physician who then put me on 27 pills a day, along with 2 injections a day that I had to give myself in the stomach. I was a walking pharmacy!

But that's not all. The doctors told me that with every pregnancy I had it would increase my risk of having a massive heart attach or severe stroke, so they recommended that I not have anymore children. I was 27 years old, who has to deal with this kind of stuff when their 27?!?

My husband and I prayed and prayed, and thought that this was God's way of telling us that he was giving us all that we could handle, and boy was he right!!! I delivered a very healthy baby girl without any complications! Actually the birth of my son and the birth of my daughter were identical except for the fact that they were born 10 minutes apart from each other.
I tell you all this because my children have saved my life. These disorders that I have are not just due to being pregnant, but they get much worse during pregnancy. If it wasn't for children I would have never known that I had these disorders and could have died at a very early age due to a heart attach or stroke. I still take 4 pills a day, but hey I can live with that if it means that I'm going to be around to see my children grow up.
Below are pictures of what the blood thinner injections did to my stomach. It not only caused huge bruises, but there were also knots underneath my skin that were very tender to touch. When I first started this blog I was very hesitant to post any pictures of my stomach because the bruising is still fading. It wasn't until about 5 months ago that it really started fading. I feel blessed, truly blessed. I know that God has a hand in everything!







By the way... these are jeans that I couldn't fit into three months ago. Their one of my favorite pair of "baggy" jeans, and they weren't so "baggy" when I couldn't even fit into them! And you will have to forgive me for the belly button - I've had three surgeries through it!

3 comments:

Sara said...

oh, sarah, i remember how scary this was when we first found out!! and i also remember your stomach when you had to give yourself injections!! maybe it's me, but i can see NO signs of anything except a flat, beautiful belly now!!;) you really do look amazing!! and i'm thankful to our Lord that He saved you this way! what a true blessing!!... your kids are incredibly special, but i'm sure this makes you bond w/ them in a way not all mothers are able to! how cool!! love ya, friend!!

Hope said...

I can't believe it, but I didn't know this story at all! What a wonderful God we serve and thanks for sharing it. I'll appreciate your beautiful children even more when I see their pics now!

By the way, I'm with Sara, I didn't notice anything in the current belly pictures! Well, except for the total healing! :)

Emily said...

Your story is amazing. Isn't it incredible how God can take any circumstance and use it? I can't imagine how scary it must have been and how painful your stomach must have been and yet what a blessing in the long run.