Thursday, September 4, 2008

Caloric Needs & Today's Journal

Today I did Day 11 workout from Making the Cut. The killer was the last five minutes. You have to do sprints 30 seconds at 9 mph and then 30 seconds off, you do this for five minutes. I'm not sure my legs could actually go any faster. At 4:00 today I also did my 2 mile interval run with some abs. I hadn't posted pictures in a while, so here are some pics from today's workout.




Now... as for my caloric needs that I spoke about earlier today on my previous post. I looked back through the book and she gives you a formula to check your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). Below is the formula:

BMR= 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)

I have also added a site under my "Favorite Websites" that you can plug your numbers in really quickly and it tells you how many calories you should be eating.

Well mine came to 1432.85 Calories, and if you have read my diet journals you will tell that I've been eating well under that. Not purposely, but this could be the reason that my body is starting to plateau.

Here is my diet journal for today, along with the calorie intake:

Breakfast: Kashi Cereal with two strawberries and skim milk, and protein shake = 200
Bites of my son's pop tart = 60
Coffee with flavored creamer = 100
Lunch: Morning Star veggie burger on two peices whole wheat low carb bread with fat free mayo and mustard = 225
Snack: 1 medium Banana with 1 tsp of Natural Peanut Butter = 150
Dinner: Oven baked Chicken marinated in Mrs. Dash Mesquite Grill marinade with Spaghetti Squash = 265
Snack: EAS Carb Control Protein Shake = 110
Coffee = 50

Total = 1160

As you can see I'm well under where I should be, so I will be making an effert to eat a little more. I have also put another link to Calorie King under my "Favorite Websites". This is a great website to use for foods that you're not sure about their nutrition values.

2 comments:

Sara said...

sarah, you look amazing!! WOW!!! thanks for the BMR formula! i need some major help in the diet area right now!!... i do have a question--are those calories for every day, no matter what?? or just days you work out?? do you need to vary depending on how many days a week you work out??... thanks:)

Sarah said...

The BMR is how many calories your body burns on a normal day - as if you were sitting on the couch all day. So that is how many she says that you need to eat. She makes it very clear to never drop under 1200 calories (which I was obviously doing).
She also says that if you eat too much on one day don't beat yourself up about it, just go light on the next day and workout harder for a day.
I'm actually going to post more about this since I didn't really go into detail about what a BMR is. Feel free to ask anymore questions.