Saturday, September 6, 2008

What's a BMR?

In my previous post I mentioned the BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and what my number is, but I failed to really go into detail about what a BMR really is. So here goes...

Your BMR is the number of calories that your body burns on a normal day - as if your were sitting on the couch all day. (I know, sitting on the couch all day is NOT a normal day with two small children!) This is also the amount of calories that you should be eating in a day.

On most diet programs they recommend dropping you calories. This being that you have to burn 3500 calories to lose 1 pound! On the program that I'm doing (Jillian Michael's Making the Cut) she assumes that you are already moderately fit and only need to lost about 20 pounds, so she doesn't drastically drop your caloric intake. She feels that instead of dropping your calories (which also depletes your energy) that you should eat them and then burn them off through exercise.

In the newsletter that I get she has also stated that if you go over your calories don't beat yourself up. Instead go lighter on the next day and work out a bit harder for a day to make up for the difference.


Friday News:
I did my normal workout yesterday minutes the 20 minutes interval run. I wasn't able to post because my husband and I went on a date. That's right... we went on a date, and I had a great time! I can't tell you the last time we did this, but we ordered Pizza Hut picked it up in his parent's convertible, sat in an empty parking lot and ate it (I had two pieces). After that we went bowling, then the batting cages, followed by Fritz's Ice Cream (which I had about 10 bites of and took the rest home to my son who devoured it!) It was a wonderful evening and we are going to start doing this at least once a month! I highly recommend it!

I've been a little down on myself lately. It doesn't help that I'm losing weight VERY slowly when I workout as hard as I do, but a friend said some negative comments to me about what I've been doing - as if it wasn't enough. This was said to me about a week and half ago, and it's obviously still hitting me. I keep questioning if I'm doing enough now. Then I read a post from my dear friend Sara over at Weighing In and it was enough to light the flame again. She (Sara) is one of the more inspirational people you will ever meet. She amazes me day in and day out in everything that she does. It's a privilege to know her and even more of one to be her friend!

4 comments:

Sara said...

sarah, you are TOO sweet!! wow, i actually have tears in my eyes!!!... i can't tell you what an inspiration you are to me as well--your knowledge and drive simply amaze me and have given me strength when i feel depleted! your enthusiasm and confidence always make me happy just to be around you! i love how REAL you are and how you're not afraid to be YOU! i love that you share things with me without shame! i LOVE that God brought us together--i feel like you're a sister to me, and more importantly, you are a sister in Christ to me!:) you are a true friend--one i know would fight for me, love me and always be there for me!!! you are AWESOME, girl!! and i'm blessed and honored to call you my friend!!! I LOVE YOU!!! thanks for the encouragement today!:) you're wonderful!!!

Meghan said...

Sarah!

I just want you to know that you look fantastic! You have my ideal body type (so I'm a little jealous actually:)) Don't let anyone's negative comments get you down - you look amazing! I'm so proud of your drive and the way you push yourself and how honest you are being on this blog. It is inspirational! Keep up the good work!

MamaHenClucks said...

OK girls, you're making me tear up just because of the love and support that you give one another.

Can I just say first off that you LOOK AMAZING! I wouldn't even say that you need to be working out as hard as you do, but also, that I am amazed by how much effort you put forth into reaching your goals?

Don't let anyone fill you with negative comments. You have set very attainable goals and you are working hard at achiving them. You should be proud of yourself, I'm proud of you (which I'm sure just means a ton coming from someone you barely know :) )

Sarah said...

Thank you all for your support and kind words. This really has lifted my spirits a ton - along with all the prayers! I am so blessed to have friends like you guys.

And Emily, I know that I don't know you all that well, but it sure feels like I've known you for years. Your support and encouragement means just as much to me. Thank you all!