Thursday, October 16, 2008

Soda or No Soda

As I mentioned in a previous post I have been hearing a lot of bad things about drinking diet soda. Regular soda is generally bad for you due to the sugar and acid in it. Diet soda also has the acid that depletes important nutrients from you body, but it also has artificial sweetners that can harm you as well.

In February there was a study done on rats to see what artificial sweeteners would do. It actually increased their appetites and made them gain weight. There are reasons behind this that you can read about in the link that I will provide.

In the end they are not sure if this does the same thing in humans. They say that artificial sweeteners play tricks on the body so that it doesn't know how many calories it consumes. I read a ton of articles on this, but I felt that the Wikipedia one summed it all up pretty well, and included a list of beverages at the bottom to tell you which soda has which artificial sweetener.

I just have one problem... I not only drink Diet soda, but I put artificial sweetener in my coffee as well. I can give up soda, but giving up coffee will be like pulling teeth for me!!!

Any suggestions???

Here is the link to the article on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_soda

2 comments:

Hope said...

Oh I wish I could give some insight on this one. I know how bad soda is for you, but it is the one thing that I can't seem to give up entirely. I go for months without it and then decide it sounds good, drink one, and then before I know it, I'm hooked again.

I'm convinced of the dangers of artificial sweeteners, so I try to avoid them at all costs. If I drink soda, I drink regular. Which means more calories and thus more extra weight I'm carrying around. I know the best solution is to just drink water or tea with real sugar in small amounts, but it's hard to make those good decisions sometimes.

Personally, I'm becoming more and more convicted that soda is an addiction for me. Something that I need to just stop having altogether. I don't want to give Satan any stronghold whatsoever even if it seems harmless like soda!

Also, I don't want my kids to grow up with soda around. They hardly ever get it. (I can count on my hand the number of times Adah has had soda and she's 5!) Problem is, the older they get, the more they ask why they can't have soda. When I say that it is bad for them, they ask why Mommy and Daddy drink soda if it is bad for us. Smart girls. To be a better example, we're going to have to cut back or cut it out entirely!

Those are two very good reasons for me to cut it out of my diet along with all the medical reasons and budget-busting!

About the coffee, I'm the same way. I don't do it black. I used to add sugar and creamer. I stopped adding the sugar/sweetener and only use the flavored creamer. That stuff has enough sugar in it by itself that I don't even miss the added sugar/sweetener! I'm convinced though that coffee drinking is an acquired taste. I wonder if you can develop a taste for black coffee and is it really worth it? Hmmmm.

That was a long answer for someone who struggles with this as well! Good post.

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

I have quit buying Diet Coke at home. But I still allow myself to buy it out - which means, the minute I am out w/out kids and can easily run into a convenience store I buy a 60 ounce like a junkie!!

I have never sweetened my coffee but what I do is buy the flavored creams. May be just trading one devil for the other, I don't know. But a splash of that, and that is all the flavor I need in my coffee, and you can buy the sugar free ones as well.