Friday, February 27, 2009

Gettin' Fine in '09: Week 3


Hey ladies... I didn't forget, I've just been pretty busy today.

So how have your weeks gone? Any major struggles? Any major accomplishments? I would to hear about all of it.

As of this morning I'm exactly the same: 132 lbs. Sure I get frustrated, but I know that I'm staying healthy and keeping my head up. These last 2 1/2 months have been challenging for me since the scale hasn't budged, but I know that I'm not giving up. And if this is where my body needs to be right now then this is where it needs to be!

Here is what I did this week. I've been wearing my personal trainer watch, so I know how many calories I burn during certain activities.

Saturday: 1 hr spin class (Burned 950 calories)
Sunday: I worked out with my best friend who asked me to help her out. We did interval sessions of cardio mixed with strength moves. (Burned 650 Calories)
Monday: 1 hr zumba class (Burned 600 Calories)
Tuesday: Off Day - Yes, I finally gave my body some rest!
Wednesday: 1 hr spin class (Burned 900 Calories)
Thursday: 1 hr spin class (Burned 1000 Calories)
Friday: 45 min spin class (Burned 800 Calories), 30 min weight loss yoga (Burned 250 Calories)

I usually eat 1300-1400 calories a day, so as you can tell by my calories burned why I get frustrated when I haven't seen the scale moves since November. But it was brought to my attention today by my husband and a good friend that I might not be eating enough and my body is in "Starvation" mode. Kris, my husband, reminded me of an episode of the Biggest Loser where Jillian Michaels jumped all over a contestant for not eating enough calories and forcing their body into starvation mode, which causes it to hold onto weight instead of losing it.

There is a current contestant on the Biggest Loser, Mike, who is the youngest at 18 years old. Bob Harper just talked to him a couple weeks ago about not eating enough. Mike stated that he has the mentality that eating less = losing weight, which is kind of the mentality that I have. This obviously isn't the case. Once Bob helped Mike's eating habits he dropped over 10 lbs in one week. So, needless to say, I'm beginning to think that I need to eat a bit more. More whole grains, lean proteins, fruits, and veggies!


3 comments:

Sandy at God Speaks Today said...

I cannot think of a better excuse to eat more. :)

I think there is a lot to be said about that. This is one of the things I love about BFL--the free day. I think the free day prohibits your body from going into starvation mode.

I did a fitness friday post on weight loss plateaus a few months back and I remember reading how it is sometimes good to stop everything for a week or two to shake up the metabolism and let your body know it isn't starving.

hmmmmmm......

Thanks for your comment on my blog today, by the way. It sounds like you are doing very well with your kiddos.

Love ya,
Sandy

Leslie said...

I was actually going to mention that you might not be getting enough calories before you mentioned it! I had a pretty busy week, but got all my workouts in, my weight hasn't budged either, but I'm not going to give up! I'm feeling great!

Jason Glassbrook, CFT said...

Hi there,

Stumbled upon your blog. Eating too few calories doesn't cause you to hold onto 'weight'. It causes you to hold onto 'fat', meaning your body is building up its energy reserves (that's what fat is burned for), because it senses a pattern of not getting sufficient calories and nutrients to meet your energy expenditure. If you are consuming less calories than you are burning, you will lose weight. Period.

I don't know if the workout schedule you posted here is typical of your weekly training strategy. But if it is, you are looking to make your goals progressively harder to reach. It's obvious you are dedicated and tough. But if you keep doing cardio, cardio, cardio, low cal. low cal, low cal. You are going to yo-yo (you know what that is).

You might want to modify your training strategies, and your internal meanings about what being "fit" is.

#1 - You should make the preservation of lean muscle tissue a priority. That means keeping your caloric deficit in a safe range where you body will not cannibalize muscle tissue for energy during your (many) cardio workouts. Keep your calorie intake within 15-20% of your daily energy expenditure.

#2 - Somebody as fit and close to goal as you are should be focusing on body composition - not the number on the scale. Your progress indicators at this point should be bodyfat percentage and body measurements. Focusing on "weight" is always going to throw a monkeywrench into your progress.

Hope this helps. And if you need help calculating your energy requirements, I created a handy calculator on my blog: http://poscharge.blogspot.com

-Jason