Friday, March 13, 2009

Children & Eating / Gettin' Fine Challenge Week 5

As long as I can remember I have been on a "diet". I have tried just about all of them, from taking pills, to slim fast shakes, to severely limiting my food intake, etc.


All this started when I was in High School, but it wasn't until I was in college that I figured out why I am so weight conscious. I grew up with a very skinny older sister who never even thought twice about what she ate, and to top it all off my father called me fat all the time. Don't get me wrong, I love my father and we are very close to this day, but I his words will haunt me for the rest of my life. My very own husband, whom I've dated since we are children, can even recall my father telling me that I was fat in front of all my friends. So needless to say, I have a witness!


In college I also began trying to live a healthy life style instead of "dieting". I started doing Body for Life and lost over 30 lbs and I was eating a TON! I LOVE Body for Life and highly recommend it. However I was spending a lot of money on Protein Shakes and Bars.


I'm saying all this because one of my biggest worries is portraying food in a wrong way to my children. My son (3 years) is a VERY picky eater. I usually try to introduce healthier food a few times (something life Broccoli), but he will only try 1 bite and say he's done! He tends to favor veggies, but LOVES meats. While my daughter (18 months) will eat anything and everything, and she LOVES fruit! Even though we eat very healthy in this house, my kiddos still get WAY too many sweets. I know that it completely falls onto my shoulders. After they eat their meals they ask for a cookie, which is their dessert, and I give it willingly. Some other things that they have on occasion are: Cosmic Brownies, Oatmeal cream pies, Ice cream, and donuts. I say that it falls on my shoulders because in my head I say, "They're kids, they burn it off, so why can't they have it." This couldn't be more wrong! Once they get it they want more and more, and it becomes a viscous cycle that is totally hard to break!


I don't want to pass down my issues with eating and dieting to my children. This is why I have to really watch what I say about certain things and foods. These behaviors are learned, and my babies are way too young to learn such a thing. I want them to know "healthy" without thinking that they are being deprived of something.


My husband, Kris, came across an article in New York Times about 6 Food Mistakes Parents Make. It really hit home with me and it well worth the read if you have small children.

Here is the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/15/health/healthspecial2/15eat.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&no_interstitial


Also, a couple of Fridays ago Sandy at God Speak's Today did a fabulous Fitness Friday Post of kids and obesity. I recommend taking a look!




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





As for the Gettin' Fine in '09 Challenge! It's week 5 everyone, so how are you all doing? I will be moving the Gettin' Fine post to Thursdays so that I can be consistent with Fitness Friday on God Speak's Today.

As for this week for me. I've been doing the same cycling classes, but I've added more weight training. I lifted on Monday (arms and legs), Wednesday after spinning (upper body), Thursday after spinning (lower body), and will be doing light weights and cardio today.

As of yesterday morning I weighed 131 lbs! YEAH BABY! I haven't seen 131 in months! It means that I lost one pound and I'm hoping that it stays that way!

Be sure and leave a comment telling me how you all did this week!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Next Friday I will be posting on the 5 Heart Zones. Stay tuned!


4 comments:

Sandy at God Speaks Today said...

I've got so much to say, I don't even know where to start.

First, I read that article and I was shocked to see that I do a lot of those bad things too. Wow. I had no idea. I do make my kids eat their veggies before they are rewarded in any way, but I guess I always make sure it is food they like. I've never made them finish something that is new to them or that they don't like.

And keeping the treats out of reach...wow, I'd have to take issue with that one. In the "study" they said they used peach bars (that the kids didn't really like to begin with) and stuck them in a jar and called it a "cookie." I cannot imagine that if I suddenly moved my kids' candy baskets to the center of the table that the candy would be as enticing as the celery. They KNOW they love candy. I have to restrict it. And same with the chips. They are on the top shelf of the pantry. My kids LOVE chips. If they were on the bottom shelf with all the snacks they can eat freely, they'd just eat chips all day. I know that for sure.

OK...now YIPEEEEEEE for 131!!!! I know you've worked so hard to see that number. I'm so proud of you and celebrate your one-pound victory. Which is like a 20 pound victory for most people.

And finally, I will link to you every Friday from hence forth. :) I'm so excited to send people your way.

Love ya!
Sandy

Leslie said...

That is awesome about your loss, congrats! When I read about your kids I felt like I was reading about mine. My son is an extremely picky eater as well, and almost never tries anything new. My daughter will eat anything! Funny how similar our kids are in that regard. Good luck next week!

Dani Joy said...

I´m in!! I have lost 10lbs since the second week of Jan. I want to be down to 130 -125.
I am so excited to see the weight come off.
I could use more accountability.
I am also doing spinning.. at home. hehe.. I bike and lift.
I am hitting a platau I think.

Dani Joy said...

Ok so I just commented on another post.. please excuse my redundancy.. didn´t remember how much I wrote on this post.