Monday, May 18, 2009

And The Winner Is.....

I am proud to announce the winner of the Gettin' Fine in '09 12 Week Challenge. Her name is Dani Joy and I couldn't be more proud of all the hard work that she has done. As you will be able to tell, her hard work has paid off. Here is her story - straight from her.

Well, since my babies were born ( the last one in 2001), I have tried to get all the baby fat and weight off. Back in 2004, I lost a lot of weight but, not that many really noticed. I just felt better. Went totally natural for about six months. Then we went back to the USA for our first furlough. Basically, all the eating out and sedentary lifestyle for 6 months put almost all the weight back on. I would say maybe 15 pounds. I didn´t have accurate scales at the time.

This past year we took another furlough. I hadn´t been able to get the weight off since that last furlough. I got to thinking, "Oh, no what if I put on another 15 pounds!" So, we made a plan to get active even though we would be traveling so much. We got a membership at the YMCA and went every opportunity we could in many different cities. We still ate at all our favorite spots and then some, but I didn´t gain weight! I even had the added bonus that I started to tone up some.

When we got back to Spain in July, I really tried to keep it up. Jogging on the beach, early morning swims, and biking, but then we started home school. From the end of August to January, I sat on my sofa in the evenings studying for the next day or just vegging. This routine got me frustrated and wanting to do something about it.

We had purchased a stationary bike last year and I hardly got to use it because I was so exhausted all the time. My hubby even asked me if we should sell it. That upset me. I knew I was going to use it. Just didn´t know when or how.

January and resolutions. Well, I really am not one for making and sticking with resolutions because I know that by February they are moot. I just would rather quietly start something between me and the Lord, maybe even write it down. This is how my Fitness Journey began. It was a prayer at the time. Then right at that time I found some friends who were starting to lose weight too. Some of them were bloggy friends I had never met. Like
Nina, a fellow missionary in Portugal. I asked her one day if she wanted to sort of be like unofficial accountability partners. That´s when I realized I needed this encouragement.

I found a couple of Fitness blogs kind of on accident.
Melissa´s was one of them. She had some easy steps to follow. Not a diet just a plan. I loved it and started doing what I could. I cut out all white sugar and added more veggies and fruits. Started eating whole wheat breads and lot less empty carbohydrates. This alone started the weight loss on a roll.

By March when I found Sarah´s blog, All Pain ~ No Gain, I had lost 10 pounds and was on a roll. I wanted to keep going. Wanted to encourage others and needed the encouragement myself too. Sarah, had so many great ideas. I loved how encouraging she was. When I saw how many calories she was burning, I upped my work out. (I am still by far not burning that many calories) It was an other bench mark in my weight loss.
{* This is Sarah speaking now, and I don't ALWAYS burn that many calories!}

But the hardest part has been when I don´t see any change, whether inches or weight. It was so good to learn how to change up my workouts and trick my body into letting go of some more fat! This came in April on spring break.

I was so nervous about taking a trip. I always gain weight on trips! But I came up with a plan. I would eat no bread and no empty carbohydrates (pastas etc.) I would walk and exercise when I could. I even did half hour workouts in the van. (leg lifts and what ever I could do to get my heart rate up) It worked. I actually lost 2 pounds on the trip!

Now, the twelve week accountability challenge has come to an end. I reached 145 pounds. Which is a total loss of 18 pounds since January and 11 pounds since February 12, the beginning of Gettin´ Fine in 09.

Lord willing and with His strength and all my sister´s in Christ´s encouraging, I would love to see a healthy active body again. I have my sights set on a picture of myself playing soccer my junior year of college. Why not? Why not shoot for my best? That was the best I had ever felt in my whole adult life.

Let us honor God in every area of our lives!

Thanks Sarah for allowing me to be a part of this! What a huge blessing it has been for me!

God bless you! Phil. 4:17
Dani Joy

Now, my plan was to post pictures of her but I'm just going to send you her way. Click HERE to see her before and after pictures. Or just go check out her whole Site HERE.

Dani, can I just say that it was a pleasure having you in this challenge. I love the accountability and dedication that you bring. I love how open and honest you are with things, whether it be with your struggles or with your success. You truly are an inspiration! Keep up the good work - I look forward to continuing "working out & getting fit" with you.


3 comments:

Dani Joy said...

Thanks so much Sarah! I feel the same about you! This has truly been a great experiance for me and an answer to prayer!
Well, I am on to my exercise routine for the evening. :)

apoorva said...

Thank you for such good information.......If you love to workout, just like me......Please check out the blogs mentioned below, its really informative !!!!..... check it out m sure you'll love it.

http://staysharpwithworkouts.blogspot.com

Sarah Mae said...

Way to go Dani Joy!!!! That's awesome!!!

:)