Thursday, May 14, 2009

Working Out When Traveling... Or just something New.

Hey ladies. Well, we just put our house on the market, so please pray that everything goes smoothly! But now that the house is finally up, now I have family coming into town all while preparing for a garage sale on Saturday. So, this is going to be short and sweet!

I am one to literally FREAK out about going on vacation and not be able to work out. I know, go figure, it’s supposed to be a vacation – right??? Anyway, this doesn’t mean that you have to pick up on my freakish ways. This post is also for the traveling career women, or anyone who likes to remain active while taking some vacation time. I’m not meaning hit the gym wherever you go. I’m meaning, MAKE IT FUN!

When I leave for vacation in June I’m planning on packing a few things to take with me. Jillian Michaels’ 30 Day Shred DVD (they are 20 minute workouts), my resistance band, and a deck of cards. Yep, I said that right… a deck of cards.

Here is a fun workout that I picked up from the Biggest Loser:

Grab a deck of cards and get busy. Here’s how:

Face Cards = 10 Reps
Ace’s = 1 minutes break
Diamonds = Push Ups
Hearts = Lunges
Spades = Crunches
Clubs = Reverse Crunches

Shuffle the deck, flip over the first card and do what you see. For example say I flip over an 8 of diamonds. I would then drop and do 8 pushups. Take minimal breaks if possible between cards.

My husband and I have done this while watching American Idol. We love it. Give it a whirl!


Don't forget to check out Debbie at Heart Choices and Sandy at God Speak's Today. Sandy is starting something new so that other women can participate in our Fitness Friday. Go see what they all have to say!

*********
Also, I will be announcing the Gettin' Fine in '09 Challenge Winner this Monday. She has worked her tail off, so look to read more about her!



5 comments:

Dani Joy said...

Great post Sarah! Short and definitely helpful and fun! Can´t wait to try it out! The card thing sounds like a great way to get the whole family involved!
I am posting today for Friday Fitness too and still wanting to link to you. ;) Can´t wait till monday! LOL!

Debbie said...

Sarah, you can be so creative in ways to get people exercising. I love it. And what did you think of the elimination on American Idol? I loved Danny and hated to see him go.

LisaShaw said...

Hey Sarah,

Thanks for your comments on my blog. Also, I pray for your house to sell quickly and for your garage sale to go well. You sure have your hands full :)

I just recently was traveling for a few days and I new I was going to have a packed in three days with limited rest and exposure to foods that would be very fattening. While I DID NOT THINK to pack anything for working out what I did do was jog in my hotel room and power walk in place in intervals of 2 minutes for a total of 30 minutes workout each day and I kept up on my stretches.

For me that was a lot considering I was rising at 5am and not seeing the hotel bed until after 10pm each day. Thanks for your encouragement.

I have not viewed the Biggest Loser and of course because of you I have been introduced to Jilliam M. I'm going to purchase her DVD to add to my Leslie Sansone for a great summer workout.

The deck of cards sounds like an interesting idea.

I don't get over here as often as I'd like but whenever I visit I'm blessed by you. You should be a TRAINER and then travel to Florida so I can meet you :)

Love ya.

Sandy at God Speaks Today said...

I'm one to work out on VACATION too. I have to in order to offset all the additional calories.

If the hotel has a gym, I always use it. Otherwise, I'm a walker.

I love that deck of cards idea. I'm going to have to try that.

Love you!
Sandy

momstheword said...

Popping over from Dani Joy's blog. Congrats on your weight loss, you've done an awesome job!

I just worked out to Jillian's shred yesterday. I have about ten pounds I'd like to lose, and have been lacking in motivation but I think I'm ready to begin now!

Love the deck of cards idea, to cute.

In the past (before I fell off the exercise wagon, lol) I exercised on vacations by just doing alot of walking but really couldn't lift any weights or anything. I think the idea of taking a resistance band is a great idea.

I also did pushups against a table because I really didn't want to lie on the hotel carpet floor.