Thursday, August 27, 2009

Everything In Moderation...


This shirt says it all for me & yes that is attitude you see! I love my chocolate and I love my coffee even more. These two things are my Achilles Heel. As long as I’ve been trying to stay on a healthy path I always manage to slip up with have chocolate or something else sweet. Oh and heaven forbid you try to snatch my coffee away from me… Actually, if I had to pick one to give up forever it would probably have to be chocolate. Yes, that is how much I love my coffee. It quite pathetic I know!

All this being said, you don’t have to give up EVERYTHING when trying to lose weight or stay healthy. My exercise patterns are consistent, so to me that means if I want to splurge a bit, why not??? It doesn’t mean that I’ve fallen off the wagon. But by having that one small Dove Dark Chocolate, or one small chocolate chip cookie gets me over my cravings and I move on. It’s all about moderation, and moderation IS NOT the whole bag of Dove Dark Chocolates, or the batch of chocolate chip cookies you just made. There is nothing wrong with taking a bite of something, and then pushing it aside. Sometime that one bite is all I need to realize that it just doesn’t taste as good as it looked!

This is also why I strongly believe in having a “Free” day. I have talked about this in other posts. I feel that I can take one day and eat what I want. I used to go WAY overboard and literally eat anything and everything in site, and now I’m to the point that I feel like it’s a waste and sometimes it doesn’t taste like it used to. The thing that I always want on my free day is pizza. I love to sit and eat pizza with my family. It’s a good weekend tradition.

So, keep in mind that just because you splurged on that one cookie doesn’t mean throw the whole day away and keep eating them. It means stop at that one and move onto something healthier. But at the same time… you didn’t deprive yourself!

Go see Sandy at God Speaks Today, and Debbie at Heart Choices. They always have great info!

7 comments:

Debbie said...

Sarah, my mom used to always say everything in moderation. She loved chocolate and would buy one large chocolate bar each week. She would indulge in one little square each day and that was it. I can't believe none of us dared to touch mom's chocolate bar but we didn't.

I LOVE my coffee in the morning. I've cut back to 2-3 cups and that's it but I love it.

Sandy at God Speaks Today said...

Sarah,

This is great info. The key, of course, is not going insane. That's where I totally fall off the wagon. Rather than 1/2 cup of ice cream, I'll eat a huge bowl and then go back for seconds.

I love the free day concept (Thank you, Bill Phillips!). For me, it works better to have a few free meals each week. Date nights and pizza night, and maybe a breakfast where I'll make real pancakes with real syrup.

You're right on, girlie! Love the picture AND your attitude.

Sandy

Dani Joy said...

Hi Sarah! I love this post. Mainly cause I never could do anything in moderation. If I didn´t eat it all I wasn ´t happy. But now....
Thank the Lord, I can buy some sugar free chocolate and it lasts a few days. I love my coffee too!!

A girl after my own heart!

btw.. day 19 of the 30 day shred down and I did level 3 for the first time!! yippee!!! I feel it and am so excited! I also have been swimming and jogging in the mornings. Just not dropping the weight..just inches.

Heidi said...

Amen! Thank God we don't have to give up our chocolate!!

Hi Sarah, not sure how I found your blog, but I am thankful that I did. I'll be sure to tune in more often... I'm trying to lose weight too (ugh!)... wish it weren't so hard! It wasn't that hard to get on... why should it be that hard to get off right? (pa-leeze!) I plan on posting my progress on my blog too! :)

Blessings to you... ♥x♥x

LisaShaw said...

Sarah you are such an encourager! Love the photos of you and your chocolate words!!

I'm not big on chocolate but my COFFEE and I are best friends (smile).

Hugs and love.

Paula (Believing Woman) said...

Amen, moderation is key. A day or two ago I wrote about moderation and how I felt moderation was key. Thanks for this post and I love your shirt!!

LisaShaw said...

Stopping by to say hi Sarah. Pray all is well with you and your precious family dear friend.

Love and blessings.