Thursday, October 15, 2009

Dear Noah & Avery

Today's Fitness Friday post is a bit different. I have been trying to change the way that I look at getting fit in healthy lately because somewhere along the way I began doing things for the wrong reasons. Don't get me wrong, the "body image" things has always been a struggle for me, but after I had my two beautiful children I knew that I had to be a good example for them.

As a mom I never want to see my children to go through the hurt and pain that I have gone through. I know that I can't protect them from everything, but I know I will certainly try! I have learned a lot from my mistakes, as I know that they will in making theirs when the time comes. But as for now, I've written them a letter that will hopefully give them a little insight in what my lie ahead for them.



Dear Noah and Avery,

Those smiles, laughs, your tears, and loving hugs and kisses. Being your mother is the best gift I have ever gotten! I loved you both before I ever laid eyes on you.

Not a day goes by that I don’t tell you how proud I am of you and how much I love you. You both have blessed my life in ways that I can’t even express. Since the moment that you came into this world I vowed to protect and love you at all cost.

This world has so much to offer, but also so little at the very same time. There are going to be people in your lives that talk poorly to you, that make you feel bad about yourselves, that put wrong ideas into your head, and that will try to make you give into peer pressure. When this happens I want you to listen to God… Listen to your heart and know that I am always here for you.

God made each and every person unique in their own way. Don’t try to be someone that you’re not. You will never look like another person, you will never be anyone other than who God made you to be. You are an original – you are one of a kind. And I want you to know that you are amazing in every quality and characteristic that you possess.

Respect yourself and the body God blessed you with. Be a leader, not a follower. Have your own ideas and your own mind rather than filling it with what you think others want you to do. Fill yourself with love, laughter, and joy. Surround yourself with positive people who will be life-long friends. Jealousy is a weak quality that hardens the heart. I pray that you will have no desire to compare yourselves to others, and realize that it’s not just you who is unique but that it’s everyone that God created. Instead have the ability to look and admire the beauty in others.


This letter is to give you guidance as to what may lie ahead for you. I have been there, as a child, as a teenager, as an adult, and as your mother. I have wasted so much of my time worrying about being or looking like someone that I’m not, all while losing the focus on my inner beauty. Never lose site of the real you, for you are a gift from God. There is no other like you!

I love you with all my being and always will.


Love,
Mommy


“You were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.” 1 Corinthians 6:12

“The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.” Galatians 5:19

“After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church.” Ephesians 5:29

“…The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7




****** There are other wonderful women talking about this very same subject. Go check out God Speak's Today & Heart Choices


6 comments:

Sandy at God Speaks Today said...

Sarah...your letter is so beautiful. I love the way you shared your struggles with your children and offered such wisdom to counteract the lies of the world. And your scriptures at the end were perfect.

Thanks for linking up with me today. And especially thank you for inspiring me to write my post this week.

I love you!!!!
Sandy

Heleen said...

This is an amazing and very touching post Sarah. Thanks so much for posting this as well as the video in your previous post. It blessed me so!
Love, Heleen

Dani Joy said...

What blessing, Sarah! Bathe them in prayer and be an example for them. Such a great purpose!

YOu hit it right on the nail. Praise the Lord we are getting in shape and taking care of ourselves, but realizing the dangers of the sin that can overcome us if we are not careful.
This is definitely something that I have been thinking a lot about too. PRaying for forgivness and praying to get in shape for the right reasons. It´s a daily battle that is fought on the battle gounds of our minds.

Praying for you and your little ones today.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful note!

LisaShaw said...

Sarah,

Powerful, beautiful and revealing...your words here I say AMEN to: "I have wasted so much of my time worrying about being or looking like someone that I’m not, all while losing the focus on my inner beauty. Never lose site of the real you, for you are a gift from God. There is no other like you!"

Blessings.

Sara said...

sarah, what a great post! i have always admired your passion and selfless love for your children--and even in this aspect, you are thinking of them!.. at the same time, we can't speak to our children about things we don't do ourselves.. so, i'm proud of you for struggling through this for yourself and passing it onto them! what a wonderful example--to them and to all of us! and what an encouragement today! you are a wonderful woman, and i feel blessed to call you friend and sister in Christ... love you and really missing you right now... hope you're feeling better too!

Debbie said...

I love this letter Sarah. Every child should hear these words from their mom. You go girl.

Love you,
Debbie