Thursday, December 10, 2009

Filling Up the Healthy Way (rerun)...

My family and I are in the middle of a move, so here is a rerun that I think is helpful...


As you all probably know by now, I am a HUGE advocate of Jillian Michael's Making the Cut. I feel that it's a very feasable program and I can do a lot of it from home. (What I can't do from home I tweak so that I still work the same muscle group).

I signed up for Jillian's newsletter a while back on her website and really enjoy reading some of the tips. Here is one that she wrote about:

If you think you're suffering from a food addiction, the first step is to make sure you're eating correctly for your metabolic type. (You can find this out by taking the "What to Eat" quiz on my site!) This will help a lot. If you're certain that you are eating as you should for your metabolic type and you still feel hungry all the time, here are some tricks to make you feel more full so you don't derail your progress:

Drink tons of water. When you feel as if you're starving, pour yourself a huge glass of water or grab a bottle of flavored seltzer — it will help quell the urge to snack, and some of those fruit-flavored waters can even satisfy a sweet tooth.

Sleep! There are two hormones that regulate our appetite, both of which are directly affected by how much sleep we get: leptin and ghrelin. Together, these hormones work in a kind of "checks and balances" system to control feelings of hunger and fullness. Getting the right amount of shut-eye will help curb your appetite.

Examine your hunger. The next time you feel really hungry between meals, consider the last time you ate. If it was less than three to four hours earlier, your stomach isn't growling, and you're not weak or tired, it's likely that you're emotionally unsatisfied rather than genuinely physically hungry.Think about what, besides eating, soothes you. Steer yourself toward positive feelings of self-worth, and you will pick activities and behaviors that inherently contradict self-loathing and self-destructiveness.

Don't panic. You can and will lose weight. Even if you're eating more than the meal plan calorie allowance, you can still lose — it just might take a little longer. Exercise is crucial. Working out harder and more often will help burn those extra calories you might take in if you have a bad day.

Do NOT beat yourself up! You can do this. One slip up is one slip up, and if this is to be a lifestyle change you can't expect to be perfect 100 percent of the time. Believe in yourself, and get back on the wagon tomorrow.

(Michaels, 2008)



Now go check out Sandy and Debbie and see what they have to say this week!


13 comments:

Debbie said...

This is great advice Sarah. I always have to push myself to drink water even though I KNOW how very important it is for my body. And I live in the desert; go figure. I'm glad you posted today and shared a few of Jillian's tips with us.

I know you're in the midst of an exciting move and I wish you the best during this time in your life.

Love you,
Debbie

Dani Joy said...

This is a great re post! So glad I came over cause I missed this update by Jillian.

Thanks, Sarah!

And thanks for all your motivation on the challenge! You are really crunchin´too!

I hope your move goes smooth.

big hugs
Dani Joy

LisaShaw said...

Hey Sarah, before I take some time off line I'm visiting...

wanted to wish you and your dear family a beautiful CHRISTmas and New Year. Thanks for all your support via your blog this year. Very encouraging.

Love and blessings!

無憂無慮 said...

一個人的際遇在第一次總是最深刻的,有時候甚至會讓人的心變成永遠的絕緣。.........................

艾維 said...

hi!~~leave you a message to say hello, and thanks for your share!.........................

touch said...

我喜歡用心經營的blog~ ^^ .........................................

佩璇 said...

^^ 謝謝你的分享,祝你生活永遠多彩多姿!........................................

明宏明宏 said...

haha~ funny! thank you for your share~ ........................................

上宜俊宇芳心 said...

以善氣迎人,親如兄弟,用惡氣迎人,害於干戈。......................................................

逸凡逸凡 said...

^^ 謝謝你的分享,祝你生活永遠多彩多姿!........................................

AronArendt0418 said...

thank for share, it is very important . ̄︿ ̄

素育如劭 said...

您的blog蠻不錯的耶,祝你快樂哦!期待您的更新!........................................

芳瑜 said...

沒有目標而生活,恰如沒有羅盤而航行......................................................